Play of the Week:
Play of the week goes to the ward night team, Dr. Marianna Caballero and Dr. Sidney Zven, for their stellar performance helping out on the NICU with a complex cardiac admission that happened overnight!
Play of the week also goes to Dr. Sharen Dukes for taking her free time to clean out the resident work-room -- no easy feat! Thank you!
Morning Report Schedule
Topic and Speaker
0745 - 0850
DEI: Religion in Medicine Part 2
In-Person only, America 2525 B/C
0745 - 0850
Case and Genetics lecture with visiting provider Dr. Grant
0745 - 0850
Residents and medical students only
0745 - 0850
Case and NICU lecture, Dr. Urbina
0745 - 0850
Case and PHO Lecture, Dr. Parekh
The ZoomGov credentials for morning report, unless otherwise specified, are:
Meeting ID: 161 424 8612
If you are presenting a case or lecture: please save your presentations to the ShareDrive in the folder corresponding to the year and month of your presentation: \\WRNMDFPISISMBD1\DeptShares$\Dept1\_Pediatrics\MorningReport Lectures.
Continuity Clinic: Chronic Cough
Mark your calendars for the second annual partnership for Military Child Health Research Symposium on 4/29 at USUHS from 0900-1400 - register at this link
There is a WRNMMC Book Club (hosted by DEI council and Darnall Medical Library) currently reading Black Man in a White Coat. Please join the sessions from May through August at NICoE’s Central Park on the second floor of Building 51 (see flyer for details!)
Easier prescription pick-up for providers!! You can now use the following website (with CAC access) to request NEW and/or REFILLS of your prescriptions which will be ready within 2 hours of submission with a text message when it's done. The website is: https://apps5.capmed.mil/StaffPharmacyRefills/Home/Index
Starting June 1st through the fall, our AYA clinic will only have 1 provider. Thus, the AYA clinic will not be able to reabsorb the former patients of Dr. Roach and Dr. Olson or any new patients for the time being. The AYA team will still be available for curbside and formal consultations!
Interested in teaching medical students? Sign up here to lead pediatrics-relevant Integrated Clinical Reasoning sessions in September 2022. For more information, contact Dr. Jill Emerick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Need to find contact information for staff or a department within the NCR medical facilities? Check out the electronic Scutdog here, or stop by the Chief Office (America Bldg, 4th Floor, Room 4560) for a print copy. Pediatrics Department Updates
For urgent, after-hours, or weekend issues, please call/text the Chief On-Call, listed in Amion.
Sam Rowe: 4/6 - 4/17
We have a new GME leadership team, please see below for contacts!
Army Assistant Chief of GME: MAJ Alexandra Rosenberg (email@example.com)
Air Force Assistant Chief of GME: Lt Col Susan Whiteway (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Navy Assistant Chief of GME: LCDR Megha Joshi (email@example.com)
Navy Intern Director: LCDR Amy Hildreth (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Looking for information on credentialing, duty hours, and procedure logs? Please see below:
Feeling sick? Please click the arrow to the left for step-by-step instructions:
1) Text both chiefs ASAP, who will order a rapid PCR if your symptoms are concerning for COVID.
2) Report to the CSA tent (during business hours) or to the Walter Reed Emergency Department (after hours) to have the test performed. State explicitly that a rapid swab has already been ordered for you.
3) Notify the chiefs if you encounter any issues.
4) If you are COVID-positive:
a) Do NOT report for duty. Please isolate yourself from others.
b) Call Occupational Health (301-400-0885) during business hours and request a return-to- work date and an isolation memo.
AAP abstract submissions are open until April 22, 2022. Click the button above to review their website. Be sure to review the submission guidelines based on the section to which you are submitting your abstract.
Residents -- please be advised that you can submit an abstract to the Section on Pediatric Trainees (SOPT; which is accepting case report abstracts) OR the Section on Uniformed Services (SOUS).
For SOUS, submissions need to fall within one of the award topics below:
Submissions will need to fall within one of the award topics listed below:
• Ogden Bruton Award: Certificate of merit for the best paper by a Uniformed Pediatrician on either basic science research or research on the development, evaluation, or application of an emerging technology in pediatrics.
• Andrew Margileth Award: Certificate of merit for the best pediatric paper by a Uniformed Pediatrician documenting clinical findings or assessing clinical diagnostic studies, therapeutic regimens, and outcomes leading to improved quality of health care for children.
• Howard Johnson Award: Certificate of merit for the best paper by a Uniformed Resident (of any specialty) on a pediatric topic.
• Leo Geppert Innovation Award: Certificate of merit for the Uniformed Pediatrician with the best paper outlining a Quality Improvement or Patient Safety innovation affecting the care of pediatric patients.
• Leo Geppert Case Award: Certificate of merit for the best case report by a Uniformed Pediatrician. It is the only category that accepts case reports.
• Val G. Hemming Award: Certificate of merit and a travel award per individual command's approval for the USUHS, HPSP, or ROTC medical student submitting the best paper on a pediatric-related topic in clinical or basic science research.
Residents, please keep the following information regarding SOCR in mind
- All senior residents MUST have a SOCR_approved project to receive 2 ARM days per block. Senior residents must update SOCR every 6 months to maintain their second ARM day.
- Next SOCR date is April 27 from 0700-0800 and 1200-1300
- Senior residents must present a plan to Dr. Kolasinski and Dr. Zanetti for any research elective time 3-6 months prior to their rotation start date.
- Resources are in the "SOCR formerly RROC" ShareDrive folder, and check out page linked above for further information!
- The next working session will be on Tuesday, May 3.
- Each team should designate a "Resident Leader" who will be able to attend and guide the discussion at the session. Prior to the session, the Resident Leader should update the A3 slide in the ShareDrive and invite stakeholders to the meeting. Following the session, the Resident Leader should provide a status update for the team.
· April Trainings: SHARP (in person or on phone - details at https://wrnmmc-intranet.health.mil/sites/TNT/USArmyTroopCommand/sharp/SitePages/Home.aspx ) and TARP (on ALMS)
· Mandatory Alpha Company height/weight check from April 18-29. Please sign up at https://www.picktime.com/ACO22ACFT
· Army leave address is: email@example.com
· ACFT news: everyone MUST complete another diagnostic ACFT between April 1st and July 31st. IF you pass, you may convert this to count for record on October 1st.
· PT Tests:
o To schedule a test at Walter Reed, please contact SSgt Talia Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please allow a few business days for a response.
o If there is no availability at WRNMMC, you must test at Andrews AFB. Contact Ms. Laurie Creel (email@example.com)
o Complete an updated Travel Risk Assessment (https://www.nccpeds.com/_files/ugd/92f61c_956a236983094f34a58c47aeaee6fa6c.pdf)
for any leave requests and send to Leela Patel or Dr. Zanetti for signature.
o Upload the signed TRA to your LeaveWeb request, and designate Leela Patel and Dr. Zanetti
as your primary and backup approver.
o If you have a negative balance, submit requests to Col Rieker.
o Ensure you are up to date with your Individual Medical Readiness (https://asimsimr.health.mil/imr/MyIMR.aspx)
· April training: Uncle Sam's OPSEC 3.0 (please upload training certificate to Relias)
· Residents: designate Leela Patel (under "Civilian Approvers", UIC 00168) as your watchbill coordinator in NSIPS.
Wellness and Feedback:
Wellness Resources Table- this contains a comprehensive listing of behavioral health resources accessible to trainees in our program.
Physician Wellness Resources Library- this site lists open-access online resources that promote physician wellness.
Feedback Venues Table- this table details the various avenues through which trainees can give feedback and the degree of anonymity conferred by each.